[U-Boot-Users] U boot scripting / stand alone program capabilities

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 9 11:47:50 CET 2004

Dear Gerrit,

in message <1076322741.4804.4.camel at nios> you wrote:

> I've read the DULG manual about the U boot scripting capabilities and
> successfully run the hello_world.srec example, but now i want to replace

Note that these are two different issues.

Scripting (i. e. the capability to run canned command sequences)  has
nothing  to  do  with standalone programs like those in the examples/
direcotry.

> the hello world program with one of my own programs. How can I compile
> my own program ? No info is available in the manuals I've read. I've
> already tried with the Makefile that's included with the examples and
> set ARCH to ppc and TOPDIR to ../u-boot/ (for config.mk) but that fails.

The simple way: just place your code in the examples/  directory  and
add a new target to examples/Makefile; alternatively, you can add you
code  to your board specific directory and adjust the makefile there.
See  for  example  boards/trab  which  includes  some  extra  targets
(trab_fkt.srec, trab_fkt.bin) for standalone hardware test routines.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"When the only  tool  you  have  is  a  hammer,  you  tend  to  treat
everything as if it were a nail."                    - Abraham Maslow