[U-Boot-Users] Multi Image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 9 17:28:42 CET 2004

In message <37FB7AA6F5F9814FB634A7BF4C35A6F501213E92 at ESEALNT442.al.sw.ericsson.se> you wrote:

> I am thinking of using the Multi Image format for our Linux Kernel + RootfileSystem.
> Now, I have noticed that the 'mkimage' image has a header which contains useful info, but I have not
> figured out how Linux gets hold of the RootFileSystem address in a Multi image...can someone
> describe how this is done?

The "mkimage" tool will add information where each of  the  parts  is
located  in  the multifile image. U-Boot will the know where it finds
the kernel image, and where the ramdisk  image.  It  will  pass  this
information  to  Linux as usual (r4 = initrd_start or 0 if no initrd,
r5 = initrd_end).

Linux does not know about this at all.

> This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this
> transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

Oh fuck. I guess I will go to prison now.

Please forget what I posted.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"An open mind has but one disadvantage: it collects dirt."
                                                    - a saying at RPI