[U-Boot-Users] Some puzzles on dram_size()

SAM SONG samsongshu at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Jan 5 07:40:54 CET 2004

 --- Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> 的正文:> In message

> > When porting u-boot on LITE_DW,I found that the
> > following code in RPXlite.c couldn't get through.I
>
> Can you please be a  bit  more  specific?  What
> does  "couldn't  get
> through" mean? Bad results? Crash? Which error /
> crash dump messages?

I did a test again and get the following result:

(gdb) b dram_size
Breakpoint 6 at 0xff012f38: file RPXlite.c, line 199.
(gdb) c

Breakpoint 6, dram_size (mamr_value=546328576,
base=0x0, maxsize=67108864) at RPXlite.c:199
(gdb) d b
(gdb) step
(gdb) step
(gdb) step
(gdb) step
(gdb) step
(gdb) step
(gdb) step

Program received signal SIGSTOP, Stopped (signal).
0x00001000 in ?? ()
(gdb)

By DDD,I could see the code executed  to the following
cycle and hanged after one cycle.At the same time,cnt
and maxsize equal to 16777216 and 67108864
respectively.

for (cnt = maxsize/sizeof(long); cnt > 0; cnt >>= 1) {
        addr = base + cnt;	/* pointer arith! */

        save[i++] = *addr;
        *addr = ~cnt;
    }

> > [maxsize/sizeof(long)]/2.I changed save[]
> dimension to
> > big enough but still in vain.I don't know
> > why.Finally,I masked the following code and booted
>
> How big is your SDRAM_MAX_SIZE #defined? And how big
> is your actual RAM?

I set SDRAM_MAX_SIZE as 0x04000000 according to two
MT48LC16M16A2TG-75 on LITE_DW.

> > successfully.How does the following code work
> > normally?If I masked the code,is there any
> >potential
> > danger?
>
> The code works fine on all systems I know. If you
> remove it, you lose the feature that U-Boot
> itself  to  different RAM sizes.

Thank you for your notes.Actually,I cannot help
suspect that address multiplexing on LITE_DW makes the
problems.I notice that A6mpc is connected to A12sd but
A8mpc and A7mpc linking BA0sd and BA1sd on
LITE_DW.Some documents from Micron Technical
Notes,howerever, say the MSB for the SDRAM are the
bank address lines BA1 and BA0.I am a little confused
by these authoritative reference.Which one is better
for practice?Is it related with above phenomenon?

Best regards,

Sam Song