[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot on MPC8280

John W. Linville linville at lvl7.com
Thu Jan 8 13:36:27 CET 2004

Rod Boyce wrote:

>This is just my $0.02 worth but I have used our BDI2000 to debug User land
>application, Kernel, and device drivers at the same time.  It is an

Rod,

We, too, have used the BDI2000 in such a fashion.  I agree that it can
be invaluable when debugging the interaction between a userland
application and a kernel driver.

Can you describe the method you use to do this?  Our process is a bit
cumbersome, involving putting a breakpoint in a driver's ioctl()
function that will only be called by our application.  Once it is hit,
we use add-symbol-file to get the information for our application's
binary, and we are able to proceed.  This is on a PowerPC chip, with the
special "BDI2000 support" hack turned-on.

Is your method any "cleaner"?

Thanks,

John

--