[U-Boot-Users] How big should U-Boot be for a 405EP based board?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 9 07:53:13 CET 2004

In message <3FFDFC1D.200 at esteem.com> you wrote:

> We have a single flash chip on our board that will be either 4MB or 8MB.
> Due to the way that the 405EP boots up I thought that the smallest I
> could ever get U-Boot's binary image was two megs. However, when I

You maust be doing something very strange.

> compile and link it it turns out to be 256K. Is this correct or am I
> mistaken on the minimal size of U-Boot for a 405EP based board?

U-Boot easily fits in 170...240 kB.

You did not ptovide any details, so I can only speculate that you put
the U-Boot start address somewhere in lower  flash  memory.  Remember
that  the  405 uses 0xFFFFFFFC as reset address, so if you put U-Boot
at 0xFF000000 the binary image will have to cover all the range  from
0xFF000000  to  0xFFFFFFFF (= 16 MB) even if only 200 kB are actually
used. Just put U-Boot to a high  address  in  flash,  something  like
0xFFFC0000

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Intuition, however illogical, is recognized as a command prerogative.
	-- Kirk, "Obsession", stardate 3620.7