[U-Boot-Users] IBMPPC440GX & LINUX / U-BOOT

Daren Hayward darenh at 4bridgeworks.com
Fri Jul 2 11:47:29 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am using uboot 1.1.1

I have an embedded ppc440gx using emac2 in RGMII mode, I have ported the
driver (by Matt Porter) from 2.6 to 2.4 for the phy chip (cicada CIS8201).
If I allow the machine to boot from power on the ethernet appears to come up
and states there is a 1000Mb FD connection, however ping fails to work and
no data can be transfered across the network. However if I stop the autoboot
and use any u-boot command that uses the network (ping, dhcp, bootp, tftp,
etc etc) and then proceed using boot the network works in linux, I can ping
and transfer data to my hearts content.

I have two theories on this
1. U-Boot (network driver initialisation) is leaving the ethernet in a
strange halfway state.
2. The driver is not correctly initialised by Linux.

I have already added the ppc440gx_eth_init and ppc440gx_setup_bridge
separately, as one calls the other, to the network initialisation however
neither of these solve the problem and eth_init only causes the machine to
hang when booting linux.

Any ideas / suggestions would be helpful

Thanks in advance

Daren