[U-Boot-Users] Uboot compiling problem...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 22 14:55:47 CEST 2004

In message <JBEPLKHFOOGIPNGJJNBAMEPKCMAA.smagnier at hitex.co.uk> you wrote:

> I have some problems with the generation of the U-boot
>
> I am using the following version :
> Uboot is 1.0.2
> ELDK 3.0
>
> >[root at linux-three u-boot]# make TQM823L_config
> >rm -f include/config.h include/config.mk
> >Configuring for TQM823L board...
>
> Seems to be OK

Can you please get used to use standard quoting rules? In  this  text
above  it  is impossible to see which part was your question and what
was my answer to it.

> >s: option `-n' is ambiguous
> >make[1]: *** [hello_world] Error 2
> >make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/u-boot/examples'
> >make: *** [examples] Error 2
> >[root at linux-three u-boot]#
>
> I think this must be an older (much  older)  version  of  U-Boot.  It
> cannot  be  compiled  with the newer versions of the GNU toolchain as
> included with ELDK-3.0.

[That was me, too.]

> [WD]
> Please make sure to use a more recent version of U-Boot, for  example
> the  one  that  is  included with the ELDK (see for example directory
> /opt/eldk/ppc_8xx/usr/src/u-boot-1.0.2).

Indeed.

> My installation of U-boot-1.0.2 (downloaded separtely from the "Leo"
> website) is placed at the same level of the ELDK... but I don't think that
> could be a real problem.... isn't it ? (path seems to be also recognised? )

The code example you quoted is definitely NOT with U-Boot-1.0.2

> But could you please tell me why, the make file is referring to the
> Hello_world file ??

Because we are bulding the example standalone applications?

> AFAIK, there is no "hello_world.c" file installed by default with the ELDK
> ???

Of course there is. It's (assuming default installation directory) at
/opt/eldk/ppc_*/usr/src/u-boot-1.0.2/examples/hello_world.c

Please check again (ideally before posting).

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
In a survey taken several years ago, all  incoming  freshmen  at  MIT
were  asked  if  they  expected  to graduate in the top half of their
class. Ninety-seven percent responded that they did.