[U-Boot-Users] Enabling watchdog for MPC850

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 3 10:20:21 CET 2004

In message <OF4F301F74.750FBEB3-ON42256E4C.0025CE19-08256E4C.00260CD9 at mksinternal.com> you wrote:

> I am having a problem enabling the watchdog in u-boot. It causing the
> Linux load to crash.

Most probably Linux is not crashing but just reset by the watchdog.

> Do I have to enable watchdog support in u-boot for the mpc_8xx driver to
> run?

You always have to configure both sides to match, i. e. if you enable
the watchdog in U-Boot you must do so in  Linux,  and  if  you  don;t
enable  it  in  U-Boot  you must not enable it in Linux (althought in
that case you will not crash the system).

> If so what can I about the Linux crashes?

Please define "crash". Does the board  simply  reset  (like  after  a
watchdog timeout), or is there any error message, or what?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"It is easier to port a shell than a shell script."      - Larry Wall