[U-Boot-Users] YOUR OPINION PLEASE: u-boot-users added to Gmane

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Tue Mar 16 17:49:15 CET 2004

> In message <m365dc1px2.fsf at quimbies.gnus.org> the Gmane Administrator
> wrote:
>
> I can provide complete logs of the ppcboot-users and the u-boot-users
> mailing lists. I think this is an excellent chance to get a seachable
> archive of both.

I am all for searchable archives and honestly I am not excited about
sourceforge search capabilities (often multiple word searches do not work
etc).

However, with newsgroups there comes the increase in spam! Sf.net
subscriptions are receiving surprisingly low levels of spam as far as I
can see. If it is archived in newsgroups, I strongly prefer the archives
are filters and email addresses are either removed or shortened so they
cannot be used when harvested. For example, yahoo lists convert email
address to something like "wd at den..."

> However, my archives include  not  only  postings  sent  through  the
> mailing  lists,  but also some messages that were sent directly to my
> address. I am certain that  they  do  not  include  any  confidential
> information,  and  that they are all U-Boot related.

I prefer private mail sent directly to you stay private. Obviously, it is
highly likely that it will be u-boot related but the sender did not feel
comfortable to ask send in the list etc. in the first place.

> Is there anybody who sent me such "private" communication who objects
> against putting these messages into a public archive?

I belive direct emails should stay off list. I hope you can continue to
honor that.

Best regards,
Tolunay Orkun