[U-Boot-Users] Booting from ext2 partition

Jerry Walden jerry.walden at lantronix.com
Tue Mar 16 21:27:07 CET 2004

Hello -

I've seen the fsload command for jffs2 and fat filesystems.

Recently a few of the folks on my team have asked me to implement a
loader that can load the kernel from an ext2 partition.  They say they
want this because they claim it would be easier to "upgrade" the kernel
from a linux app - although I don't see much of a difference between
adding a script that does a copy vs. adding a script that uses dd to
copy the kernel image.  The other reason given is that they do not want
to dedicate a block on the CompactFlash IDE drive to a "raw" partition
(creating an ext2 partition, and then write over it with the kernel make
the ext2 partition unusable for anything but uboot).  Again - I don't
see the issue, it's not like you are wasting space on the drive.

In any case, I need to get an idea of how much time such a modification
would take.  Has anyone attempted such a mod (I scanned the archives and
did not find anything).

Thanks