[U-Boot-Users] v2p4 porting troubles

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 16 21:36:48 CET 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0403161421230.24165 at strange.wwd.ca> you wrote:

> to my amazement, the ELDK compiler made the same "mistake" (in quotes
> because it's entirely possible that it's my limited ppc405 knowledge that
> leads me to thinks it's a mistake):
> (notice that this is the XIo_Out32() function generated by Xilinx XPS)

Which sort of code does this tool generate? C code? Then it would  be
indeed  a compiler probile, and I definitely would like to see this C
code.

> Looking at the PP405's UM, i see this in the stw instruction page:

This behaviour is standard and well-known on PPC.

> This looks like a gcc problem, but perhaps someone on this list could

I don;t thinkthat GCC has such a serious problem.

> offer some guidance:
> - do all powerpc's, not just the 405, have this behavior (of using 0
> instead of r0 when the rA field is 0)?

Yes, this is standard on all PPC.

> - if so, why would these compilers generate code that seems flawed?

I don't think that a compiler would generate such code.

> - if not, are we supposed to invoke the compiler in a particular way?

Please show us the source code that produces such output; without all
discussion is in vain.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Am I your nanny? The kernel is there to support  user  programs,  but
it's a _resource_ handler, not a baby feeder.     - Linus Torvalds in
      <Pine.LNX.3.91.960425074845.22041C-100000 at linux.cs.Helsinki.FI>