[U-Boot-Users] Re: Patch: Support for PQ27e (8247/48/71/72) chips and MPC8272ADS board

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Wed Mar 17 15:15:48 CET 2004

Sorry to jump into this late, but since I do tons of PQ work
I want to add my comments.

> .... I personally don't like such
>     Yuli> compile-time definitions because chip version can be easily
>     Yuli> detected in run-time.

No, it can't in all cases.  You can determine the core type and can
sometimes find something about the CPM rom version, but tracking down
and maintaining the permutations isn't trivial.  You have great inside
information on this stuff, but it doesn't help the rest of us add or
maintain this software.

>     Wolfgang> The advantage of compile-time definitions is that they
>     Wolfgang> result in smaller code.

I agree.  We've been doing it this way in Linux for years, the compiler
makes it pretty clear when you don't have something #defined.  What's
run-time code going to do when it can't determine the core or CPM type?
Assume some defaults and hope a message gets printed?

Thanks.

	-- Dan