[U-Boot-Users] miiphy_speed() broken after latest patch...

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Fri Mar 19 00:17:37 CET 2004

I just noticed that Cogent CSB272 is now incorrectly reporting 1000Mbps
speed after the following patch is applied to common/miiphyutil.c

* Patches by Travis Sawyer, 12 Mar 2004:
  - Fix Gigabit Ethernet support for 440GX
  - Add Gigabit Ethernet Support to MII PHY utilities

Cogent CSB272 board uses Intel LXT971A PHY on board and current code is
being fooled by this patch.

According to datasheet of Intel LXT971A, PHY, PHY_1000BTSR register is
listed among registers as 1000BASE-T/100BASE-T2 Status Register but it is
marked as not implemented and no further data is available. So, the check
against 0xFFFF is not working properly.

I have been monitoring the linuxppc embedded list and there appears to be
incompatible register sets for 1000Mbps PHYs as well.

Perhaps we need to make the detection of 1000Mbps PHY included optionally
based on a CONFIG_ macro and 1000MBps PHY boards define that variable. I
have no use for extra code.

Best regards,
Tolunay