[U-Boot-Users] PATCH: fix FEC problems on MPC5200

Pierre AUBERT p.aubert at staubli.com
Thu Mar 25 10:17:53 CET 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <40629804.5060107 at staubli.com> you wrote:
>

>>The attached patch fixes the FEC problems on my Lite5200 board. The network
>>is working without any problems at 10 and 100Mb. The auto-negociation
>>works too.
>>
>>If CONFIG_FEC_10MBIT is defined, the FEC works at 10Mb with Half-Duplex.
>>If CONFIG_FEC_10MBIT is undefined, the MII reads its configuration from
>>hardware
>>and uses the auto-negociation for determining network speed.
>>The patch undefines CONFIG_FEC_10MBIT for the Lite5200.
>>
>>Does it work for the other MPC5xxx boards ?
>>

>From what we saw, the FEC driver in U-Boot used to work quite stably,
>until the IDE support was added. May be that was just a  coincidence,
>but  it seems obvious to me that something changed in U-Boot recently
>that broke the FEC driver. It is possible that  "something"  was  not
>the IDE support in fact, but yet something else.

On my side, I had the timeouts problems on tftp transferts from the
begining.
IDE support didn't change anything, the problem exists before.

>The MII initialization code used to work fine for us, as  far  as  we
>were  able  to tell. Without having investigated this more closely, I
>will not check in this patch  as  I  feel  it  might  just  fix  some
>symptoms.

For me, this init is useless, the MII takes its configuration from hardware.
On MPC8xx boards, there's no such init sequence and FEC works fine
for all boards.

>Best regards,
>
>Wolfgang Denk

Best regards