[U-Boot-Users] How does u-boot inform the linux kernel of a JFFS2 root filesyst em?

Mark Doherty mdoherty at arca-technologies.com
Tue Mar 30 12:59:07 CEST 2004

Hello everybody,

I'm not sure whether I am asking this question to the right group, but I
have found people to be very helpfull here.

I have had u-boot working well on our target for quite a while now, and I
have turned my attention to providing a JFFS2 partition on our flash. I
would like to know how I can boot from a single JFFS2 partition which
contains both the kernel image and the filesystem.

I can use fsload to load the kernel image into ram, once in ram I can launch
the kernel using bootm <address of kernel image>. Previously I had been
using a ramdisk arrangement which I configured by launching the kernel with
a bootm <address of kernel image> <address of ramdisk> and informing the
kernel within the bootargs of root=/dev/ram, how should I pass the location
of the root filesystem to the kernel?

Many thanks for your time.

Mark Doherty.