[U-Boot-Users] Re: boot commands

Stephen Williams gfi8d1h02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Mar 31 23:15:02 CEST 2004

Wolfgang Denk wd-at-denx.de |u-boot-users| wrote:
> In message <31968-89888 at sneakemail.com> you wrote:
>
>>Arg! It seems like *all* the autoboot related variables, including
>>BOOTARGS and AUTOBOOT_PROMPT are ignored if there is *any*
>>environment. This makes no sense to me. Surely people want to
>

> Wrong. They are not ignored. They are  used  to  define  the  DEFAULT
> environment.
>

>>set per-board stuff in environment and keep common autoboot
>>settings compiled in. My BOOTCOMMAND and BOOTARGS together are
>>too large to fit into my 256byte EEPROM.
>

> You misunderstand  how  the  environment  works.  There  are  no  two
> separate  sets,  it  is only one set, which gets pre-initialized form
> the default settings, which get used in case of corrupted checksum or
> so...

Ah, I get it now. And yes, it does make sense. I was able to
find more EEPROM space and when I cleared out the EEPROM, I
got my compiled in values, which I was then able to store into
the EEPROM and use there from then on. Autoboot is happy now,
and so am I.

Thanks,
steve at XXXXXXXXXX           But I have promises to keep,
http://www.XXXXXXXXXX         and lines to code before I sleep,