[U-Boot-Users] Add another FLASH to my board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 12 19:02:50 CEST 2004

In message <138e01c43831$905ea050$6b01a8c0 at cc> you wrote:

> I ordered a Strataflash from Intel (E28F128J3C), 128 Mbits.  I would like to
> add it to the AT91RM9200 development board.

Why do you send the very same message twice within just 20 minutes?

> Is there any document to explain how to proceed to add a new flash memory in
> U-boot?

Please refer to the source code.

> To do?

Extend your flash driver to support  more  than  one  bank  of  flash
memory. There are many boards that do. See for example CU824 etc.

> 1.  In lib_arm\board.c, I have to call a strataflash_init() routine in order

There is no such file in the U-Boot tree. No filename contains a backspace.

And no, you don't have to call strataflash_init() in lib_*/board.c; I
would reject any such modification because there is no need to modify
such a central public file just because one board adds a second  bank
of flash. Also, there is no such function in the while U-Boot tree.

> to initialize the flash_info_t structure.

This must be done in your board's flash.c

> 2.  call display_flash_config to print out the flash size.

Such a call is already in place. No  need  to  care  about  it.  Just
return the correct value from your flash_init() code.

> 3.   I don't know what to do with these routines: flash_erase,  write_word,
> write_buff.  The content of these routines are different if we access to the
> strataflash or AT49 flash.  So, how can I manage it correctly?

In your flash driver you will have to cehck which flash  device  gets
addressed, and branch to the right code then.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars.
	-- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion", stardate 3259.2