[U-Boot-Users] CONFIG_BOOTBINFUNC for AT91RM9200

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Tue Nov 23 15:11:17 CET 2004

Dear Wolfgang,

you wrote:

 > Instead of doing all  this  which  is  really  non-trivial  and  also
 > ineffficient you could just boot from flash. I've just checked in the
 > necessary patches for the AT91RM9200DK and CMC_PU2 boards ...

IIUC then part of this code is in cpu/at91rm9200/start.S wrapped in #ifdef
CONFIG_BOOTBINFUNC.

As you know I'd like to move the at91rm9200 stuff into cpu/arm920t/at91rm9200.
The start.S already calls memsetup if CONFIG_INIT_CRITICAL is defined.

Do you mind moving out the at91 specific stuff?
You already call something like lowlevelinit. Clock init could be done there.

So I'd like to move out the clock specific stuff into
a) board depended memsetup.S or clocksetup.S or
b) a cpu dependend cpu/(arm920t/)at91rm9200/clock.{c,S}.

What do you think?

And:
I don't think CONFIG_BOOTBINFUNC is a good name!
U-Boot should not "include the functionality of boot.bin in u-boot" but include
lowlevel, hardware dependend init functionality!
I don't know why Atmel introduced this two stage boot process with gzipped
compressed u-boot images without clock or memory setup functions.
And actually I don't wanna know.
There already is CONFIG_INIT_CRITICAL. We can add CONFIG_INIT_CLOCKS or
CONFIG_INIT_MEMORY or CONFIG_INIT_SDRAM or CONFIG_INIT_LOWLEVEL...

regards,

Steven Scholz