[U-Boot-Users] PPC as host

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Mon Oct 25 17:59:16 CEST 2004

The Makefile makes its best guess about cross compilers given very
limited information.  It may guess wrong, as you are seeing.

For more information, see:
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKUsage

    *  After the installation utility completes, export the
CROSS_COMPILE variable:

bash$ export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_8xx-

      TIP The trailing '-' character in the CROSS_COMPILE variable value
is optional and has no effect on the cross tools behavior.

A related hint (if you don't like the export hint) is in
  http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxConfiguration

If your host computer is not the same architecture as the target system,
and if you got your kernel tree from kernel.org or other "official"
sources, then you may have to supply an architecture override and a
cross compiler definition. The most reliable way to do this is to
specify them on the make command line as part of the make command. If
this is the case, use for example:

bash$ make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_8xx-

gvb

The following messages are brought to you by the Lawyers' League of
IdioSpeak:

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.