[U-Boot-Users] Hello world application running problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 31 22:17:11 CET 2004

In message <20041029154109.80624.qmail at web12009.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> > I have read README.standalone. My target board is
> > smdk2440(Arm 9).
> >
> > So i transfer hello_world using tftp to address
> > 0x0c100000 and then call "go 0x0c100000 hello world"

What makes you think that  0x0c100000  is  the  entry  point  of  the
standalone application?

> > But after that the application seems to get stuck
> > and
> > nothing happens. Eventually i have to reset the
> > board.

This is because you tried to run code where none is. Pay attention to
the entry point address.

> > I have some doubts:
> > 1. Which file should i send. I think it should be

This depends on which tool or protocol you use for the download.

> > hello_world and not the srec or bin format. I ran

This is wrong. hello_world is an ELF file, so it may only be used  by
tools  / protocols that understand ELF files. The SREC file has to be
used by tools / protocols that understand  Motorola  S-Record  files.
The  BIN file has to be used by tools / protocols that understand raw
binary images.

> >  command on  all 3 and found that hello_world is the
> > one meant for ARM.

Wrong   again.    All    images    (hello_world,    hello_world.srec,
hello_world.bin  etc)  are  all  teh  same  images, just in different
format, depnding on which protocols or tools you want to use.

> > 2.Is the load and start address correct? May be its
> > different for ARM9?

The load address ooks ok to me. The entry point is probably somewhere
else.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Neckties strangle clear thinking.                       -- Lin Yutang