[U-Boot-Users] Re: Code Warrior 8.14 + WireTAP + U-boot bootloader image ( Arabella 2.0 C D-ROM "Linux for Motorola 82xx")

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Wed Sep 8 17:57:45 CEST 2004

    Alexander> Hello, I was trying to use Code Warrior 8.14 + WireTAP to
    Alexander> program the 66 MHz elf U-boot bootloader image (supplied
    Alexander> on the Arabella 2.0 CD-ROM "Linux for Motorola 82xx")
    Alexander> onto the flash of the brand new PQ2FADS_VR board with
    Alexander> MPC8275 processor.  While the programming of the flash
    Alexander> seemingly completed without errors -

Seemingly or surely? CodeWarrior's flash programmer have got "Verify"
button. Use it to check if flash really contains correct image.

    Alexander> however the bootloader is not functional ... - upon the
    Alexander> power reset of the board the serial driver (at least) of
    Alexander> the bootloader was not functional (the neither one of the
    Alexander> board's two serial leds was not "up" and there was no
    Alexander> connection over HyperTerminal through either one of two
    Alexander> board's serial connectors).  Do you have any
    Alexander> recommendations/suggestions with regards to this issue ?

Since our customers use this image on different PQ2FADS boards
(including VR), the problem must be in your setup, probably in the flash
programmer. BTW, there is absolutely no difference between ZU and VR
boards except the default main oscillator frequency.

    Alexander> Additional problem I have which I didn't mention ... but
    Alexander> may be it is part of the same problem ... - though I
    Alexander> changed my laptop's parallel port settings to ECP - after
    Alexander> each "successful" flash programming - I am loosing JTAG
    Alexander> connection with the board - the only way to fix it is to
    Alexander> change SW6 deep swich "boot source" position ...

SW6 has nothing to do with flash programming unless you use flash as
boot source and the "successful" flash programming erases the HRCW. If
this is the case, the programming setup is definitely wrong because HRCW
resides in first flash sector and the U-Boot - in 29th (in fact, 28th
because sectors are numbered starting from zero). At what address are
you trying to burn the image?

Yuli Barcohen | Phone +972-9-765-1788 | Software Project Leader
yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel