[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot and Nand Flash

Bradley Remedios bremedios at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 23:47:57 CEST 2004

Hello All,

I'm working on a new port of U-Boot to a custom board and have a few questions.

Is Nand flash actually supported by U-Boot?  I've been looking through
the sources
and could not find any references to Nand flash.  I don't believe that
Nand flash is
supported but wanted to make sure prior to jumping in.

Also, it seems like all of the code that would access flash, does it
simply by reading
from the address that the flash is located at.  Although, this works
for other flash
types (ie. Intel Strataflash) this will not work for Nand flash.

Would there be any objection to adding a read_flash function to the
flash drivers
so that the type of flash being used is generic?

The nand flash driver that I write will be cpu/ppc4xx/440ep_ndfc.c as the 440ep
has a Nand Flash Controller on it in addition to the board/x/flash.c
that contains
the flash protection and serial reading code.

I want to eventually get patches to all the work to get the board and processor
working back into U-Boot so please let me know if I should be doing any of the
above items in a different manner.

Regards,
--
Bradley Remedios