[U-Boot-Users] GPL Licensing issues

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 27 22:20:14 CEST 2004

In message <20040927124041.76928.qmail at web51908.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> > Code is in source files per definition :-)
>
> Could this distinction become blurred as 'inline'
> functions appear in header files?

It could. But it should not. At least such ehaders should not be used
to  define  interfaces  which  are  expected  to   be   exported   to
applications.

Let's bring it to a point: U-Boot is GPLed, and this is a Good Thing (TM).

There are cases where propriatary code needs  to  be  used  (for  one
reason  or  another,  not all of them being good reasons), and U-Boot
facilitates this by means of standalone applications.

This is the intention. From  what  I  know,  standalone  applications
don't  need  to  include  any headers or link against any files which
might give reason do  even  remotely  consider  this  as  creating  a
"derived work".

I will add an appropriate comment to the  COPYING  file  (similar  to
what  Linus  uses for the Linux kernel) to make this absolutely clear
to everybody. [Checked in right now.] If anybody asks, just point him
to the COPYING file.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Life. Don't talk to me about life.      - Marvin the Paranoid Android