[U-Boot-Users] ethernet problems on the 5282 - Retry count exceeded

NZG ngustavson at emacinc.com
Wed Apr 6 22:10:37 CEST 2005

I'm working with a 5282 based board and am having ethernet problems.
I know the ethernet hardware is sound because it works in uClinux.
The fec appears to be working somewhat in u-boot, (I'm using Zach's modified
fec code).
But still appears to be timing out.
I have the debugging code on and I'm trying to pick up a dhcp, I'm getting:

u-boot-> dhcp
BOOTP broadcast 1
BOOTP broadcast 2
packet received
packet received
Receive from protocol 0x806
Got ARP
packet received
packet received
Receive from protocol 0x806
Got ARP
packet received
packet received
Receive from protocol 0x806
Got ARP
BOOTP broadcast 3
BOOTP broadcast 4
BOOTP broadcast 5

Retry count exceeded; starting again

So it appears to be communicating, just not quite right.
Zach, you originally mentioned that the timers might not be getting
initialized correctly. Where are the timers initialized in the code? Do you
have a patch for this?

I'm on a 100 base-T network, is that a problem? Has this code been tested at
100?

If anyone has been down a similar path before I could use some debugging tips.

thx,
NZG.