[U-Boot-Users] Differences between u-boot and u-boot.bin

Grant Likely glikely at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 07:45:39 CEST 2005

On 4/25/05, Yann POUPET <yann at yannouch.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could someone explain me the difference between the u-boot elf binary
> and u-boot.bin files both generated when I build u-boot ?
u-boot:  elf file, includes both machine code and symbol tables
(function names, etc)
u-boot.bin: raw machine code in binary image.
u-boot.srec: raw machine code in srecord format.

> I which context/condition should I use one or the other ?
u-boot: Use with symbolic debugger (gdb)
u-boot.bin: flash verbatim into ROM
u-boot.srec: flash into ROM using srec loader