[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot Developer's Information

Brian Waite bwaite at irobot.com
Tue Aug 16 14:31:44 CEST 2005

On Monday 15 August 2005 8:15 pm, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>     Please note that U-Boot is implemented in C (and to some small
>     parts in Assembler); no C++ is used, so please do not use C++
>     style comments (//) in your code.

Only to be contririan, and to get the debate out of the way now instead of on
a per-patch basis, We shoud remind ourselves that the // was adopted as a
legal C comment when C99 was ratified. The // style comment can arguably be
called a C style comment by people who graduated college after me. If you
really don't like the // comment ( I know I don't) I think a little more
verbage might be in order explicitly forbidding the // comment on the grounds
of u-boot being developed under the C89 specification, or just an outright
don't do it. Otherwise people will argue this on each patch they develop.
You've seen it on LKML so lets make this a bit more clear.

Thanks
Brian