[U-Boot-Users] How to boot Multi-file image?

llandre r&d2 at dave-tech.it
Mon Aug 29 09:24:59 CEST 2005

Hi,

>Have you successfully booted with two single-file images?

yes.

>I have found (after much agony) that booting the 2.6 kernel from U-Boot
>requires modification of the kernel code in order for it to be able to read
>an initrd image from flash (there is an old patch floating around for the
>2.4 kernel somewhere).  Personally i decided against this, and experimented
>with copying the rom image into ram.

To boot single-file images I applied a patch released by Russell King to load
the ramdisk image directly from a MTD partition. The kernel is
2.6.x-ep93xx. You
can find more information and the sources here:
http://members.inode.at/m.burian/ep93xx/index.html.

>Copying from rom to ram will work, as long as the image file is a raw gzip
>file (not created with mkimage), as the kernel doesn't seem to understand
>anything else.  If there is a command to manually uncompress an image file
>into ram i am not aware of it.

We use this technique with our ARM7-based platforms.

Thanks for your help,

llandre

DAVE Electronics System House - R&D Department
web:   http://www.dave-tech.it
email: r&d2 at dave-tech.it