[U-Boot-Users] booting from USB

Jonas Dietsche maillist at fsforth.de
Wed Feb 2 16:15:25 CET 2005

Hallo Wolfgang,

>>I'm interested in booting a linux image from a USB memory stick.
>>I configured u-boot (version 1.1.2) to provide me with the usb commands.
>>I try to load the image with the following commands.
>>usb rest
>

> rest or reset?
reset, of course. Just a typo ;-)

>>   Type: U-Boot
>>First Block: 32,  # of blocks: 255456, Block Size: 512
>>
>>** Bad Magic Number **
>

> Ummm... the number of blocks is obviously bogus -  255456  blocks  is
> 124  MB;  I  don't  think  that's the real size of your kernel image.
> Probably you made some error when storing the image to the USB stick.
Just played around with my usb stick and reduced the size of the first
partition. When I now try the usbboot command the number of blocks is
exact the size of the partition.
Is there a special way of creating the image or can I use the same I use
with the tftp command?

> How did you write the image to the USB stick?
I tried to follow DULG -booting from IDE, Compact Flash. Maybe it was
not a good idea...
Copied it from my host to the stick. This is not the proper way?

Can you tell me which fs to use? I tried it with dos.

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Jonas