[U-Boot-Users] Porting UBoot without UART

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 24 23:38:27 CET 2005

In message <c3d0340b0502221121c489be4 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> We're using some emulation box to develop our SoC. Somehow the UART
> will the last component available for firmware development. Without

What a major mistake of design...

> UART, it's very hard to debug UBoot. Can we "easily" drive a car
> without eyes?

Easily yes, savely no ;-)

> But it's not impossible to do that. My first thought about porting
> UBoot under this circumstance is to disable the serial driver in UBoot
> and to redirect all printf to a fixed memory area, just as what a
> circular log buffer does. I'm wondering how much workload this will
> be. Is this kind of mechasim already existent in UBoot?

There is a log driver, yes.

But U-Boot really assumes that  you  have  a  working  console  port.
Anything else is a major pain in the ...

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 22 - 24,  Hall 10.0 Booth 310
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Nearly everyone is in favor of going  to  heaven  but  too  many  are
hoping  they'll  live  long  enough  to see an easing of the entrance
requirements. Never appeal to a man's "better nature." he  might  not
have one.