[U-Boot-Users] 440EP nand flash controller

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 25 16:42:49 CET 2005

In message <OFCA68F795.6504466E-ONC1256F94.0050FA47-C1256F94.0054D5E8 at acterna.com> you wrote:

> Is it possible  to run U-boot from Nand flash ?

No.

> (In this case no more NOR flash is needed on my board)

You can put a small bootstrap loader in the  NAND  boot  sector  that
would  initialize  SDRAM  and  load (oribably even uncompress) u-boot
from NAND into SDRAM and start it there. But with  such  an  approach
you are on your own; please see
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/CanUBootBeConfiguredSuchThatItCanBeStartedInRAM

> Probably a better solution is to use a nor flash for U-Boot and use the
> 440EP nand flash controller to provide
> a glue less interface between 440EP and Nand devices (used to store linux
> kernel and FS).

In general, I recommend to use NOR flash for boot loader, kernel  and
probably  a minimal root filesystem. Use th NAND flash for additional
filesystem space under Linux.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I didn't know it was impossible when I did it."