[U-Boot-Users] Kernel Panic

Will Haines will.haines at embedded-sys.com
Mon Jul 18 20:12:36 CEST 2005

I am currently trying to boot an kernel with inital ramdisk using u-boot
on an EP885C, but I am running into the following problem when I try to
boot the kernel:

Linux version 2.4.22 (wdhaine at prod-pci)
(gcc version 3.3.3) #1 Mon Jul 18 12:45:35 EDT 2005
On node 0 totalpages: 16384
zone(0): 16384 pages.
zone(1): 0 pages.
zone(2): 0 pages.
Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,9600 console=ttyS0
root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc rw

RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 16384K size
1024 blocksize
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)

Freeing initrd memory: 466k freed

I would think that this is purely a kernel problem; however, it did not crop up
until I started using u-boot.  As shown above, I have ramdisk support built into
the kernel, and I am passing it a root device in the kernel command line, so
this doesn't seem to be an FAQ type of problem.

In order to get the kernel to run, I had to copy the ppcboot.h bd_t struct into
my linux port and change the IMAP_ADDR to get the kernel to boot.  I am thinking
that somehow the bd_t struct changes could make the it impossible to use
/dev/ram0 correctly.  Other than that, I am stumped.  Any help would be greatly
apprectiated.

Will Haines