AW: [U-Boot-Users] KPIT GNUSH compiler not sufficient to compile U-Boot under Cygwin

Jonas Mark (ST/EPP1) * Mark.Jonas at de.bosch.com
Thu Jun 2 12:42:23 CEST 2005

Hello,

> because I am not allowed to use Linux but forced to use Windows 2000
> instead I am currently trying to port U-Boot to a Renesas SH7720 (SH-3
> core) based platform using Cygwin and a precompiled, freely
> downloadable gcc 3.4 from KPIT Cummins
> (http://www.kpitgnutools.com/). Although this is definitely an issue
> of KPIT and not of U-Boot I am posting here with the hope that
> someone may have an idea how to fix or work around this problem. I
> sent the following text to KPIT's support team:

Today I got this reply from KPIT:

##########

Hi,
Thank you for using GNUSH tool chain.

The sh-elf-gcc compiler is built on MingW and not on cygwin. The native
Gcc compiler that you have been using is a cygwin built compiler. That's
why the path which works with Gcc , does not necessarily work with
sh-elf-gcc as sh-elf-gcc recognizes absolute path.

>6.) Compile the program using GNUSH's gcc.
>$ sh-elf-gcc -I/test/inc -o hello hello.c
>hello.c:2:19: hello.h: No such file or directory Fails!

You may specify path like following which works for cygwin gcc as well
as for sh-elf-gcc,

$ sh-elf-gcc -I./../inc -o hello hello.c

Regards,
GNU Support.

To me this sounds like GNUSH for Windows it not intended to be used with
Cygwin. Using relative or c:/ based paths only is not really what a
Cygwin user is looking for. That would mean that I need to run sed over
every path returned by a native Cygwin command, e.g. pwd.

Regards
Mark Jonas