[U-Boot-Users] Compile-time flash dependencies (was: PATCH: RPXlite configuration fixes)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 6 22:53:07 CEST 2005

In message <17060.34001.772438.243816 at astp0002.localdomain> you wrote:

> It's what I'm trying to do. I'd like to clarify "increasing the code
> size" concern which appears from time to time on the list. As we all
> know, U-Boot occupies entire flash sector (or several sectors). So,
> IMHO, if the increase does not require additional sector, the increase

You assume that there is flash on a board. There are boards which use
a 128 kB ROM, and still are able to use a decent set of features.  Of
course  this requires optimization, and omitting some stuff. It's not
a matter of using an additional sector or  not,  it's  as  simple  as
works or does not work.

> should not be a problem. Even if you're concerned about RAM size, I'm
> not sure U-Boot size can be an issue. In most cases, there is at least
> 8MB of RAM, so if U-Boot is 170K or 200K should not make any
> difference. I personally never had such an issue with our customers. In

I do, and I will strictly look at the code size. The rules  are  well
known.

> cases when such a difference is critical, current method (compile-time
> CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE) can be used. In any case, I believe that run-time vs
> compile-time code size difference can be 2-3K in the worst case.

Maybe. Then it's 2-3k which can be saved, and shall be saved.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
HP had a unique policy of allowing its engineers to take  parts  from
stock  as long as they built something. "They figured that with every
design, they were getting a better engineer. It's a policy I urge all
companies  to  adopt."  -  Apple  co-founder  Steve  Wozniak,   "Will
Wozniak's class give Apple to teacher?" EE Times, June 6, 1988, pg 45