[U-Boot-Users] "Problem in increasing initrd(RAMDISK) size"

nreddy at netenrich.com nreddy at netenrich.com
Wed Jun 8 09:00:38 CEST 2005

Hi All,

I am struggling  with RAM disk Space.

My Problem is :

I am working on a emebdded system(WALNUT405 board based ).In the first
version of the system we have 16MB SDRAM, executing Linux OS(Embedded
Linux Kernel from Montavista ).It was working fine.

Later we have upgraded SDRAM size to 32MB to include more libraries in the
file system.

Here "initrd(linux file system)" includes all my application code along
with linux file system.

Inorder to include some more features in the application ,we need to
increase the initrd size(RAMDISK size).

Currently our RAMDISK size is 4MB and it is working fine.
We wanted to increase  RAMDISK size to 16MB.

   Is there any relationship that we need to takecare in the kernel to
accomidate this RAMDISK size change.

   We tried by changing the RAMDISK size to 8MB, without any modifications
in Kernel, which worked fine. But when we increased the RAM DISK to
more than 8MB(12or16MB), the kernel is giving "Kernel panic" error.

Can some body throw a light to increase the RAMDISK size.

Thanks in Advance,
Nagi Reddy