[U-Boot-Users] "Problem in increasing initrd(RAMDISK) size"

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 8 11:53:04 CEST 2005

Dear Leif,

in message <42A6B3BA.7000502 at i3micro.com> you wrote:

> > Can some body throw a light to increase the RAMDISK size.
>
> There is a hard limitation in u-boot, causing "bootm" command to
> silently fail gunzip with images having an uncompressed size of > 4Mb.

This has NOTHING to do with ramdisk sizes.

U-Boot does not uncompress ramdisk images, this is done by the  Linux
kernel.  U-Boot  just  (loads  and) passes the address of the ramdisk
image to the Linux kernel without touching the data at all.

> The ugly fix would be to just increase this value (like I did).

No such change is needed (unless you end up with a Linux kernel  that
does not fit in 4 MB any more).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If you believe that feeling bad or worrying long enough will change a
past or future event, then you are residing on another planet with  a
different reality system.