[U-Boot-Users] "Problem in increasing initrd(RAMDISK) size"

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 8 15:00:15 CEST 2005

In message <42A6E116.7090906 at i3micro.com> you wrote:

> > No such change is needed (unless you end up with a Linux kernel  that
> > does not fit in 4 MB any more).
>
> Well, this is probably true in more sane cases, but when using embedded
> ramdisk image (available for both mips and ppc I believe), the 4Mb
> u-boot limit can indeed cause problems.

No, it CANNOT.

I repeat: U-Boot does NOT uncompress  the  ramdisk.  It  just  passes
information  about  the ramdisk as is (i. e. compressed) to the Linux
kernel. It is the Linux kernel  which  uncompresses  the  ramdisk  if
necessary.

> Yes I know everyone's supposed to upgrade to 2.6 and initramfs.

I disagree.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How come everyone's going so slow if it's called rush hour?