[U-Boot-Users] "need help in mkfs.jffs2"

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 16 10:39:33 CEST 2005

In message <33771.202.62.67.130.1118908661.squirrel at 202.62.67.130> you wrote:

> This question may not be suitable for this group ,but still i have some

Indeed, this is completely off topic here.

> I have used mkfs.jffs2 tool to create "runImg" which is being loaded into my
> Here the size of the "runImg" is less than the sum of all above 4 files.

So some space was saved because JFFS2 uses compression.

> So i could not save any space after zipping one of the application.

This is normal. You cannot save  space  by  compressiong  an  already
compressed file; instead, you will need more space.

> why the mkfs.jffs2 is increasing file size when there are
> any zipped files?

Because it cannot save space by compressing an compressed image,  but
will need additional space.

> I have tried all the options of mkfs.jffs2,but could not succeded..

It simply makes no sense to compress a file twice.

But as mentioned before: this is OFF TOPIC here.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A failure will not appear until a unit has passed final inspection.