[U-Boot-Users] silent console, nulldev and CONFIG_AUTOBOOT_KEYED

Ladislav Michl ladis at linux-mips.org
Wed Jun 29 20:09:47 CEST 2005

Hi,

If "silent" env variable is set GD_FLG_SILENT is added to gd->flags
(in console_init_f). That effectively causes all console output to be
suppresed. That flag also causes nulldev to become outputdev
(in console_init_r). Btw, shouldn't CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE depend on
CFG_DEVICE_NULLDEV in this case? Now we are entering into abortboot
(CONFIG_AUTOBOOT_KEYED) and because "silent" env variable is set and
also CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE defined console_assign (stdout, "serial"); is
called, doing basicaly nothing, because GD_FLG_SILENT which is still
set prevents any console output.

There are various solutions from this situation, but I'd like first
understand what is CFG_DEVICE_NULLDEV good for when we have GD_FLG_SILENT?
Or better, how should all these three things in question behave?

thanks,
	ladis