[U-Boot-Users] Relocation of symbols?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 30 13:09:45 CEST 2005

In message <SNHBXT98B63SQ98BA765YIC51A95Z52.42c3a90c at pc-block> you wrote:

> Well, I'm sorry. I didn't want to sound rude. I was a bit dissappointed, because it
> seemed to me like you were ignoring great parts of my last post and sort of retreated
> to safer grounds.

I accept ypour aplogy. I just have a habit of NOT trying  to  address
the  problem  the  same way and following the same thoughs - if I did
this, O probably ended up with the same conclusions like you  and  no
solution  at  all. Instead, I try to remember that There Is More Than
One Way To Do Things.

That's why I ask for information that my seem irrelevant to  you,  or
that I seem to ignore information you provided while I'm trying to go
a different way.

> Perhaps you could explain to me, how you think I could initialize the declared array at
> those positions you propose (it's not a problem of finding the referenced functions,
> but of knowing how to do it). I've sent a small example as answer to Rune Torgersen,
> which shows quite well, that one can't initialize/locate an "open" array (like fpgadata
> []) by initializing a pointer of the same name. Seemingly it's me, who's failing to
> see, but I don't get how your hint helps me with this.

See my previous posting.

> Well, at first, you cut away three quarters of my last post. Second, you told me in one
> of your answers, that the compiler knows no differences between these initializations

Yes, I was wrong there. I stand corrected.

> I'm afraid, I currently don't have the knowledge, nor the time (at least not at work)
> to do it in a better way. But I thought, perhaps you would like to at least discuss the
> way it's done now and perhaps, combined with your knowledge of how the things are
> running today, come to see a new/better/more generic way of doing it. But please don't
> get me wrong again, I certainly don't want to sound like I'm requesting a change in U-
> Boot or something alike.

I'm not that intimate with the linker or the changes  they  implement
to  it  -  which  seem to break existing and seemingly perfectly good
code that used to work for a long time. I'm afraid  there  is  little
help  available  - if there was a linker expert here on the list with
some clever ideas he would have probably spoken up by now.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A modem is a baudy house.