[U-Boot-Users] Re: EP8248 as a PCI card

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Thu Jun 30 14:57:50 CEST 2005

    Nishant> Thanks, Yuli Got the patch, u-boot 1.1.2 installed and
    Nishant> running on my ep8248 board. In standalone mode.

It's the only mode which was tested.

    Nishant> When I try to use the EP8248 (with u-boot 1.1.2) as a PCI
    Nishant> card in my PC (desktop), the PC doesn't even power up.

    Nishant> But when the same card, with PlanetCore bootloader (the
    Nishant> bootloader that came with the card), is inserted in the
    Nishant> same PCI slot, the PC powers on, Windows XP starts up and
    Nishant> even detects the card as a "Other PCI bridge" device.

    Nishant> What change(s) do I have to make in the u-boot code to make
    Nishant> it work as a PCI card in my PC?

    Nishant> I have already tried the following:
    Nishant> #define CONFIG_PCI
    Nishant> in include/configs/EP8248.h

    Nishant> Because of the above #define, I had to write a
    Nishant> pci_init_board() function in board/ep8248/ep8248.c

    Nishant> This function simply creates a pci_controller 'hose' and
    Nishant> calls pci_mpc8250_init(&hose);

    Nishant> With all this, now my PC boots up with the EP8248 + u-boot,
    Nishant> but Windows can't detect the card.

    Nishant> How do I proceed? What changes should I make?

You have to initialise the on-chip PCI bridge to work in agent mode. I
think that the function which you wrote initialises it to work as PCI
host and it's not what you want. You have to read the board's manual
(and the chip's manual) to find how to work in agent mode. I don't know
if there is any support in U-Boot for agent mode.

 Yuli Barcohen       | Phone +972-9-765-1788 |  Software Project Leader
 yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax   +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel