[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot on x86

Robin Randhawa robin.randhawa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 06:26:00 CET 2005

Greetings.

I've been planning to use u-boot with a custom board built around the
Elan SC520.

While I do not have any patches for you as yet, I am embarking on a
project where I need a bootloader to fill in for a BIOS, as far as
system initialisation, and creation of a Linux friendly environment
goes, so that Linux can run here. I'm basically blocking on some
hardware at the moment.

I am pursuing both Linuxbios and u-boot. I've begun a study of the
u-boot code and up until now do not see any real reason that it
shouldn't work on the sc520 CDP. There's code that looks fine for all
the DRAM, Flash, Serial Init, mappings etc.

For what its worth, u-boot has been made to work on the sc520 in the
past using the very same code-base that is in the cvs at present. There
are some kinks (like the build related issues etc) but on the whole it
should be usable atleast.

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 11:05 -0800, Frank wrote:
> Good luck getting it to work on a x86. I gave up and went to
> LinuxBios. U-boot is great for PPC, Mips and Arm but it has a
> long way to go for the x86...

I am interested in knowing what problems you had with the sc520_cdp
support and would appreciate any information.

Do you mean that the sc520 support in u-boot is not in line with some
radical changes in the u-boot core ? I mean does the code for PPC, Mips,
Arm etc do something special that the sc520 codebase doesn't ? In that
case one would need to "upgrade" the sc520 support to whatever u-boot
currently provides/assumes.

While my board is much different from the CDP, I would gladly supply any
patches that could make the sc520_cdp support work well once I can be in
a position to experiment.

Cheers,
Robin