[U-Boot-Users] Re: loading MAC address into hardware

Sergei Sharonov sergei.sharonov at halliburton.com
Sat Mar 19 03:15:11 CET 2005

Wolfgang Denk <wd <at> denx.de> writes:

> In message <3rr5v6$5tg7h8 <at> mxip23a.cluster1.charter.net> you wrote:
> > I understand how to set the ethaddr.  I need the ethaddr loaded into the
> > emac on the cpu.  I'm using an at91rm9200 if that helps at all.
>
> You may want to read the other FAQ's, too. Like this one:
> http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/EthernetDoesNotWorkInLinux

Wolfgang,

I think we all understand that the bootloader does not set mac address if no
network operations have been requested, e.g. if we boot from a local flash and
not from a network. Now, what the question probably was:
"I stored my mac address in u-boot environmental variable. Now I need somehow
set it in hardware. Is there a way to force u-boot to do it for me even though
it does not use network for its own needs? If that is not possible then what
is the best way to pass mac address to linux. I suppose then I can use ifconfig
to set it"

I am in the same boat.. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sergei Sharonov