[U-Boot-Users] Unclear points on NETCONSOLE script

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 31 17:54:40 CEST 2005

In message <20050331143606.88702.qmail at web15910.mail.cnb.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I tested netconsole on RPXlite DW and succeeded. But
> still several unclear points in mind. All for the
> doc/README.Netconsole itself.
>
> 1. $1 should be replaced as TARGET IP or not?

No. This is a shell script, so the shell will  substitute  the  first
argiument to the script here.

> If I used the above script on my RED HAT 7.3 host PC,
> u-boot console could switch to host console but any
> input didn't work. When $1 was replaced as TARGET IP
> like 192.168.0.11, the above script can work right.
> Is the given script a common one or should be fixed
> as TARGET_IP=<TARGET_IP>?

Just call it and pass the IP address (or host name, assuming  DNS  is
working) as first parameter.

> 2. mpc5200 should be changed as TARGET IP or not?

Yes (or host name, assuming DNS is working)

> 3. Why use Ctrl + T rather than Ctrl + C to interrupt
> the script status?

Because ^C is used by U-Boot, too, and we need a (simple) way to pass
it through while still being able to terminate the script.

> In both scripts, only Ctrl + T can interrupt script
> status. Why not Ctrl + C? This one should be more

Because ^C is passed through to the U-Boot console.

> common to use. Can we change it for more reasonable?

This is perfectly reasonable - pressing ^C at the U-Boot console does
what is reasonablke: terminating the running U-Boot command  (instead
of throwing you out of the remote session).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Is truth not truth for all?
	-- Natira, "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched
		   the Sky", stardate 5476.4.