[U-Boot-Users] Big Block NAND, JFFS2, and Me

Chris Williams chris at jem.co.jp
Thu May 12 08:11:35 CEST 2005

Howdy.

The board I am porting to uses Samsung's K9F1G08U0M NAND--which it
appears is a "Big Block NAND" chip and non-standard. I've tried doing
some general fiddling with the macros in the NAND, Flash, and JFFS2
segments of the code--which has gotten NAND and the generic Flash
commands working, but the JFFS2 code seems to have problems.
I researched this a bit, and it seems that Samsung has their own
solution, RFS, which they say should used with NAND chips with page
sizes more than 512 bytes (ours is 2048.) We are currently contacting
the board manufacturer to see about receiving the RFS code for U-Boot
and Linux, but if it ends up that we cannot receive this code, then I
would like to ask if anyone knows whether the current U-Boot JFFS2 code
should be able to work with big block NAND (and I just need to fiddle
with it more), or if I will need to essentially create my own JFFS2
handler? I don't currently have an adequate understanding of JFFS2 or
flash memory to determine what possible issues there are between
different chip formats.

Thank you,
Chris Williams