[U-Boot-Users] Low-boot configuration for MPC8272ADS

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Wed Nov 2 10:46:39 CET 2005

    Dmytro> I've seen one thread on this subject
    Dmytro> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/19224
    Dmytro> and tried to repeat the same trick.

    Dmytro> 1. I have updated (latest snapshot) u-boot:

    Dmytro> include/configs/MPC8260ADS.h

    Dmytro>   #define CFG_HRCW_MASTER 0x0e72b605

IMHO this HRCW value is incompatible with MPC8272 (reserved fields are
not cleared, for example). Read the chip's manual to find correct values
(or copy them from BCSR-supplied HRCW).

    Dmytro> board/mpc8260ads/config.mk

    Dmytro>    TEXT_BASE = 0xff800000

This is unnecessary because lowboot_config takes care of TEXT_BASE.

    Dmytro> 2. Using BDI2000 (MPC8272ADS JP9 is configured to take Hard
    Dmytro>    Reset Configuration source from BCSR - otherwise board
    Dmytro>    keep reseting)

Probably because your BDI configuration file tries to use default IMMR
0x0F000000 while in fact the IMMR is 0xF0000000 due to the HRCW.

    Dmytro>    load
    Dmytro>    unlock 0xff800000 0x40000 32
    Dmytro>    erase 0xFF800000 BLOCK
    Dmytro>    prog 0xFF800000 u-boot.bin BIN

    Dmytro> 3. Change JP9 to take Hard Reset Configuration from FLASH
    Dmytro>    (SW2 Boot Source is FLASH)

    Dmytro> After power cycling BDI and board - the board keep reseting
    Dmytro> (BDI is attached to the board).

See above.

    Dmytro> Yes, 0xFFF00100 is not valid breakpoint anymore - I guess it
    Dmytro> should be something like 0x00000100.  But I suspect even I
    Dmytro> got u-boot wrong BDI still should "freeze" the board instead
    Dmytro> of reseting. Is anyone got BDI and u-boot working on
    Dmytro> MPC8272ADS in low boot mode?  Any help is really
    Dmytro> appreciated.  Below is output of BDI while reseting and BDI
    Dmytro> init from config file.

[...deleted...]

 Yuli Barcohen       | Phone +972-9-765-1788 |  Software Project Leader
 yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax   +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel