[U-Boot-Users] Replacing AT91 u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 1 14:58:12 CEST 2005

In message <INOL40$6FF461974C374A63A2E5C94AB9FA51CC at libero.it> you wrote:

> I don't understand why the default configuration for at
> 91rm9200dk is don't work on my board, after 3 days I'm still unable to us
> e 1.1.3 :-(
> BTW the u-boot.gz I am sending here is created with gzip-ping u-boot.bin

You are not suppoesed to compress the u-boot.bin  file;  "u-boot.bin"
is a raw bbianry which can be directly run on the board. You must not
modiify it.

> Uboot> loadb 2000000
> 0
> ...SEND BOOT.BIN...

Why are you doing this? You should just store the u-boot.bin file  in
flash. Forget about boot.bin - it is not needed.

> Uboot> loadb 20000000
> ...SEND U-BOOT.GZ...

Wrong. Use the unmodified u-boot.bin file.

> Uboot> protect off 10010000
>  1001ffff
> Un-Protected 1 sectors
>
> Uboot> erase 10010000 1001ffff
> Eras
> e Flash from 0x10010000 to 0x1001ffff Erasing sector 8 ... ok.
> Erased 1
> sectors
>
> Uboot> cp.b 20000000 10010000 ffff
> Copy to Flash... done

Wrong again. On ARM systems like the at91rm9200dk the reset vector is at address 0x000, so U-Boot must be stored at this address.

Copy the u-boot.bin image to the addresses starting at 0x0000.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Repeat after me:
Usenet is not a word processor; it's a medium where aesthetics count.
Mozilla is not a newsreader; it's a web browser.
Windows is not an operating system; it's a GUI on a program loader.
         -- Tom Christiansen in <6bq0g5$lr4$2 at csnews.cs.colorado.edu>