[U-Boot-Users] Re: Burst I/O on PPC440GP

Chuck Gales cgales at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 22:54:08 CEST 2005

On 10/6/05, Gregg Nemas <gnemas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stefan Roese <sr <at> denx.de> writes:
>
> > > I've been testing this by using the u-boot mw.l command. Do I need to use
> > > PPC-specific instructions to perform burst I/O, or should an ordinary
> > > programmed I/O (using 32-bit write operations) be automatically queued up
> > > and converted to burst transactions?
> >
> > Do you want to transfer bigger chunks of data? If yes, you may want to take a
> > look at the dma controller of the 440gp. It definately is able to generate
> > burst transactions and probably the ideal solution for your needs.
>
> No, actually it will be relatively small transfers (16-128 bytes). I considered
> using the DMA controller, but thought I would start out simple.
>
> > Another way to get burst transactions, is of course to use the cache, but I
> > don't think that this is what you are looking for.
>
> You say "of course", but it really isn't at all clear to me how this works. Why
> does enabling the cache allow burst operations? You are right that it is not
> what I would normally want to do for device I/O memory.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Gregg

Gregg,
 With caching disabled, the CPU considers that your external device
needs to be updated with every memory write, since other devices may
also access the memory and need to have the correct data.  With
caching enabled, the CPU will store your writes internally until the
memory cache is flushed, which forces the writes to the external
device.  When flushing the cache (which is usually a relatively large
amount of data, the cache will use burst transactions to write the
data.  However, with caching enabled, there is the possibility that
the data in the external device is not in sync with what the CPU
thinks is there, so if other devices access the external device, they
will get the incorrect data.

Chuck