[U-Boot-Users] Booting MPC8272ADS from flash base

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Thu Oct 13 13:55:36 CEST 2005

Alex Zeffertt wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I would like to boot my MPC8272ADS board from the base of flash
> memory.  By default the BCSR delivers a fixed HRCW which tells the CPU
> to boot from 0xff700000.  But there is a jumper on the board which
> allows you to specify that the CPU should retrieve the HRCW from
> flash.
>
> In an attempt to get it to boot from 0x0 I tried the following:
>
> 1.	Moved jumper JP9 from "BCSR" to "MEMORY" to tell the CPU to
> 	get its HRCW from flash rather than the BCSR.
>
> 2.	Set TEXT_BASE in config.mk to 0x0
>
> 3.	define CFG_HRCW_MASTER in MPC8260ADS.h to be the value normally
> 	delivered by the BCSR or'd with (HRCW_CIP | HRCW_BMS).  This should
> 	move the reset vector from 0xfff00100 to 0x100 and cause the flash
> 	to be mapped from 0x0 to 0x01ffffff.
>
> Unfortunately this didn't work.
>
> Has anybody else managed to get the MPC8272ADS to boot WITHOUT using
> the BCSR to deliver the HRCW?
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,

I did this for the PQ2FADS board, which should be very similar to the
MPC8260ADS board.  Check out the "bootlow" configuration for PQ2FADS.

I cannot give you specific advice, but I would review each and every bit
in the HRCW (step #3 doesn't sound thorough enough).  Ahhh, looking at
my patch email (below), the IMMR that your board defaults to may not be
a happy choice.