[U-Boot-Users] FEC not working : ep852

gautam borad gautam at eisodus.com
Tue Oct 25 15:52:03 CEST 2005

Hi,
    I'm having problem bringing up FEC on ep852 board with LXT971A
transceiver.I get the "Unable to discover phy!" "No PHY device found"
message, and then "TX not ready" and "TX timeout". The dump displays
"Net: FEC ETHERNET" .
I'm using u-boot 1.1.2.
Some of the #defines from the config file :

#define CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTI
#define CONFIG_FEC_ENET         1
#define CONFIG_NET_MULTI      1
#define CONFIG_ETHER_ON_FEC1

#if defined(CONFIG_ETHER_ON_FEC1)
#    define FEC_ENET                  1
#    define CONFIG_MII               1
#    define CONFIG_FEC1_PHY          (-1)    /* Detect PHY ID */
#endif /* CONFIG_ETHER_ON_FEC1 */
#undef  CONFIG_SCC3_ENET

#if defined(CONFIG_MII)
#  define CFG_ADD_MII_CMD       CFG_CMD_MII
#else
#  define CFG_ADD_MII_CMD       0
#endif
#define CFG_DISCOVER_PHY        /* FEC Ethernet */

#define CONFIG_8xx_CONS_SMC1

Do I need to modify u-boot.lds file?( I dont thinks so).Is something
wrong with the clks if so where do i modify them?
The eth_init() function also fails. It says " Trying FEC ETHERNET" and
then "FAIL"

I'm enabling fec in board_early_init_f() like this:
#if defined(FEC_ENET)
    *((volatile uchar *) BCSR2) |= BCSR2_MIIRST | BCSR2_MIIPWRDWN |
BCSR2_FIRQ_EN;

where:
BCSR2 = 0xFA400002
BCSR2_MIIRST  = 0x80
BCSR2_MIIPWRDWN = 0x40
BCSR2_FIRQ_EN = 0x20

I dont see any problem in the above #defines but still fec is not
working. Plz help.

Thanks in advance.