[U-Boot-Users] MPC8349EMDS port

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 7 12:35:14 CEST 2006

Dear Kumar,

in message <F74FD79C-8F46-4465-93FB-54ADA4D017BC at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:
> Any update on this?

Sorry for the delay...

> > I was looking at merging the EMDS and ADS ports for MPC834x and was
> > wondering about a few things:
> >
> > * EMDS has TEXT_BASE @ 0xFE000000, and ADS at 0xFE700000 where do
> > you end up programming u-boot at? (for example what is the flash
> > command you use to reprogram a u-boot image on the board).

We use exactly this address 0xFE000000, here is a command:

protect off FE000000 +${filesize}; era FE000000 +${filesize}; cp.b 100000 FE000000 ${filesize}

> > * I had to rework the BATs to be able to cover everything properly
> > which also meant moving a few things around.
> > CFG_BCSR 0xF8000000 -> 0xE2400000
> > CFG_INIT_RAM_ADDR 0xE8000000 -> 0xFD000000
> >
> > This is so we can fit everything into the 8 BATS and maintain
> > proper WIMG settings.
> >
> > If you can explain the TEXT_BASE difference and how that works out
> > and are ok with the changing of CFG_BCSR and CFG_INIT_RAM_ADDR then
> > I'll push some patches to merge ADS & MDS, remove ADS, and we get
> > PCI support on EMDS out of it.

These selection of addresses was made by a customer  in  his  initial
patch. I think the customer was trying to follow the memory map which
is  defined  in  the  board  User's Manual. And we just didn't change
that. But I think that moving things around as you suggest should  be
fine as well.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When a child is taught ... its programmed with simple instructions --
and at some point, if its mind develops properly, it exceeds the  sum
of what it was taught, thinks independently.
	-- Dr. Richard Daystrom, "The Ultimate Computer",
	   stardate 4731.3.